Friday, September 11, 2009

Unique

Unique, isn't that what we all want to be??
Isn't that what we are all attracted to, unique things I mean?
For instance, my favorite movie is Juno, it was the first movie like it.
It is funny, quirky, the songs are catchy, and most of all we are all compelled to love this fresh endearing heroine.
I read a book called the triple bind, actually I skimmed it, and it discussed how teenage girls(and probably guys too but in a different way)
are beginning to relate more with unusual characters like Elphaba from the book/show Wicked, and the characters from novels called the Uglies or something like that.
It kind of goes to show that not only are we looking for unique inspiration but also flawed role models.
Today someone asked me for my side of the story about my suspension last year, this person is a great kid and president of you name it.
Just explaining it to him, even though I knew it wasn't that bad, made me feel like I didn't deserve the things that we had both received as a result of hard work.
I watched the speech president Obama gave on education a few periods later in school and was completely inspired by this one thing he said.
He said "So I wasn’t always as focused as I should have been. I did some things I’m not proud of, and got in more trouble than I should have. And my life could have easily taken a turn for the worse. "
That simple statement reminded me that sure I can be a stupid kid but the president of our entire country wasn't perfect when he was younger either.
This really showed me that sometimes it is the flaws that we can appreciate about someone rather than their perfection.
Which is why we all love imperfect people and characters and even artwork.
Because if everything were perfect then how could anything be truely unique?

No comments: